|The rug before I pulled it apart.|
The wool I used was SMC Select Highland Alpaca, which is 50% Alpaca and 50% Andean Highland wool. It's lovely and soft to the touch, and I wanted to make a decent quality rug that would last years. I can't say how many balls of wool I used, but it's approximately 12 balls. Initially it was going to be all white, but I miscalculated the amount of wool I would need. And when I went into John Lewis, they had no white. So It became white and mocha (that's what it was called in the shop. Personally I think it looks a little more latte) instead. Here's how I made the rug!
|SMC Select Highland Alpaca|
You need 12 balls of chunky sized wool, 100gs each, 6 of one colour, and 6 of a complimentary colour. I used an 8mm crochet hook, but you can use bigger or smaller, depending on how you want the rug to look. Tension isn't important. I would suggest having a rough size in mind, and adapting the amount of chains in the pattern according to whether you would want it bigger or smaller.
1st Row (white) Ch 1, then 1 dc into 2nd ch from hook, 1 dc into every chain to end.
Rows 2 - 10, repeat Row 1
|The first section of white|
Row 11 (mocha) Ch 1, then 1 dc into 2nd ch from hook, 1 dc into every ch to end.
Rows 12 - 20, repeat Row 11
Continue alternating colours until you have the sized rug you want. I did 8 different strips. I also added a fringe to the bottom and top of the rug, with the mocha fringe by the white strip and the white fringe by the mocha strip.
|The finished article.|
I then went off to work on Saturday, 6th day in a row, and was asked to help out with an event being held by my Monday to Friday job after my part time Saturday job. I came home and decided to wash the rug. A part of my brain (very tired) was telling me to put the rug on a woolen wash, but as it couldn't explain why this was necessary, the stupid part of my brain put the rug on a 40 degree wash. It was only after the cycle finished that I remembered why my brain was telling me not to put it on that high. At that temperature, wool shrinks and felts. I took the rug out of the machine, worried I'd messed up my (rather expensive) brand new floor covering...
|After the accidental felting|
What I got was something with sides that are neater, a centre part nicely meshed where there were slight holes before, and something that (to my eyes) looks better and more professional. It's slightly smaller, yes, but I like it! I still need to sort out the fringe a bit, but my mistake, far from being the disaster it could have been, turned out beautifully!
However, I will not do that again, unless I know what I'm doing! No more messing with things when I'm absolutely exhausted, because not all my mistakes will turn out so well!
*As a note on the pattern, I did not find this online, I thought I would try this and see what happens. However, as it's a pretty simple pattern to do, I am sure this can be found elsewhere. Any patterns I find online I will link to them on my blog.