Pages

Monday 10 December 2012

#ShareAdvent - Day 10 - Show Gratitude

What's that, you say? I missed off day 9? I know, I know, I haven't written a letter to someone. Partially because I just didn't have the time to write a letter over the weekend, but also partially because I can't think of anyone I could send snail mail to!

“Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” 
Marcel Proust

 At the start of the year, I began to feel pretty low. I often have a few days or weeks where I feel this way, but the feeling continued. Even though I managed to secure a full time job, was (am) in a wonderful relationship, have family and friends who love me and a roof over my head. My self esteem dropped, and I was incredibly lonely. We live in the same city we went to university in, which has meant all of our friends are now scattered across the country. Our social life consists of the occasional day out when a friend could pop up to see us, or nights out when Corey heads to St Albans for a weekend. Work colleagues either have their own outside life, or live too far away to have time for an after work drink. 

However, things have changed recently. I have found a community online, through blogs I read before, but was too nervous to comment, through twitter and finally having the courage to meet new people, and through #ShareAdvent. Over the past two weeks I've finally felt like I've been able to throw off the shackles that were tightening around me over the course of this year. 

So today I am grateful for you all. For the people I talk to on twitter, to those who read this blog and those who write blogs of their own. You have made me happier. You have given me confidence. I have a distant past where new people often meant name calling and ostracism. I now know differently. That there are so many more people out there who are supportive, kind and generous. It's hard to express just how different I feel since the beginning of the month, but I feel myself again. 

And thank you, Anna, for creating #ShareAdvent. Through it I've gotten to know others a bit better. I've been able to do tasks (even though they've sometimes not been successful), knowing that others are doing the same thing. 

Sometimes it's the little things that a person does that makes a big difference to someone else's life. Whether it's a smile and a good morning to a stranger on the street, or welcoming someone into a community you're already a part of.

Thank you to you all.

You make me happy.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this is so true. About confidence, about #ShareAdvent, about the little things that make a difference. Thank you for being so honest and writing this :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment!