Pages

Sunday 2 March 2014

Dawn light

I am not a morning person. Given the choice, I'd stay up until late at night and sleep until mid morning. However, the working week has meant that I now wake up naturally at about 7 most weekends. Apart from this weekend, which so happens to also be a long weekend for me. On Friday (a day off) I woke up at 6. I then decided should I wake up at the same time the following day, I'll drag out my camera and go and try take pictures in the dawn light. 

I'm very glad I woke up at 6:20am. I may not be a morning person, but I love dawn. Sunset is beautiful, with showy colours spread across the sky. It's a spectacular end to each day, the sun having one last go at impressing us all. Sunrise is quieter. The world is still asleep, fewer cars are about and the only people you meet are bleary eyed dog walkers and enthusiastic joggers. There's so much potential in the dawn light. The day has just begun, anything could happen. Whereas sunset is a celebration of things that have happened, sunrise is a celebration of things yet to come. It also has its own smell, which changes through the seasons. In autumn it's a damp smell, a smell of old leaves and the world going into hibernation. In winter its the crisp, sharp smell of cold and frost. Spring has the scent of the world coming back to life - damp earth, but still with the sharp smell of winter lingering. In summer you know its going to be a warm day by the dewy smell. 

The light at dawn is also less showy than sunset, but not less glorious. The sky goes from an inky purple blue, to bright, crisp blue. Towards the rising sun, golden light floods the sky and everywhere the sun's rays touch. It's just the perfect way to spend an hour or so taking pictures. 

I'll stop whittering on and show you some of the pictures I took. They aren't perfect. My lens takes gorgeous portrait shots, and I love it for that, but with landscapes its not that great. Especially when you're trying to take a picture of a building. I also keep looking at the pictures and wondering if I over-edited. Was the sky really that golden? Was the mist really that blue? The answer to both is yes. I'm just trying to pick faults and expect the pictures I take to be perfect, even though I've hardly used my camera recently (too much rain!) and am still very much a beginner in many ways. Anyway, here are some of the pictures I took.


 
 











4 comments:

  1. Some of those tree shots are utterly glorious (all are good, some tip over into stunning x)

    ReplyDelete
  2. CRYSTA!! Oh my word, these are amazing. I particularly love the one with the trees and the mist. How have you managed to make even Leicester look so stunning?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you took the words right out of my mouth - these make Leicester look sooooo beautiful (although Victoria Park is one of the few genuinely nice bits, in my opinion)

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment!